Monday, December 20, 2010

The Twelve Cakes of Christmas - (#7) Santa's Face

One of my favorite cake recipes is an apple cake. My mom used to make it all the time. It always comes out moist, with that sweet, cinnamon-brown sugar flavor. So naturally I was excited when Jessica decided to make the next cake of Christmas an apple cake. The form of the cake was going to be the true challenge -- a realistic Santa face.

Cinnamon, brown sugar, ginger, and cloves make for a delicately spiced cake.

The finished product! The beard and white part of the hat were made from a meringue-like icing to keep the applied texture. The skin part of the face was made from fondant (not as easy as it seems) with cheeks painted rosy.

Comments when I took this one into the office included:
  • "I love your wife, but my thighs do not"
  • "So...much...frosting...!"
  • "It's terrifyingly realistic"
  • "The eyes follow me wherever I go. It's like the Mona Lisa" (to which I responded, "...he sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake")

No comments:

Post a Comment